Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day 2014 - Reflections From the Sandbox Community

As we honor our Veterans, past and present, I have put together a collection of thoughts, images, and reflections from our community.  As Americans across the land engage in barbecues, gatherings, boating, etc., we must all remember why we are able to engage in such activities.  Without the sacrifices and dedication of our Veterans, many of those leisurely activities would not be possible.


Arizoner
What these men accomplished gives meaning to the word heroic !





Kitten_Hasclaws in reply to Arizoner
My husband was part of the detachment that accompanied him on that trip. Just the mention of the name Ronald Reagan and you have to hear that story. ;-).

Arizoner in reply to Kitten_Hasclaws
This is just the short version. The complete speech is there also. I can't watch it without tearing up.


Connor Kenway
My Grandfather World War 2 tank commander that fought in the Pacific. He won two bronze stars for bravery in the battle field.




FoxRatingsRDominant




Plep
Thank you for that.  Powerful images.  You made me tear up in my Dad's memory.


FoxRatingsRDominant in reply to Plep
It's making the rounds on FBook... one of the best I've seen.

I had the privilege of meeting several Normandy survivors recently, and also rode on a B-17 with a former waist gunner who tagged along for the ride so that he could stand at his old position.

A B-17 ride (with my Dad) is one of the greatest experiences of my life. Listening to the propellers in the movies is fun, actually smelling the fuel residue and watching the black smoke fly by the windows is even better!


Plep in reply to FoxRatingsRDominant
My dad served in the Pacific navy. I can't say he stormed the beaches of Iwo Jima or any other vaunted engagement, but he was there ready to serve doing his duty.
Probably a good thing for me or I might not be here today. I miss him dearly.


johnQbear in reply to Plep
My father also was in the Pacific navy for WWII. He was on a small aircraft carrier and now my son is on a big one.


Plep
I love this pic. The young guy is my Dad. The older guy is my Grandfather who emigrated our family here. He looks like Gestapo, but, that was the dress in Germany in those days and he carried it over to here.




 
LiberalMediaIsCorrupt
This year we lost a friend who is going to be buried at Arlington




TruthBeagle
My father spent 20 years in the Air Force, then an additional 20 with a contractor on a military base.    I almost didn't know my father.  He was in Korea when I was born.  I was born a couple of weeks earlier than expected.  He traded flights with a friend and came back early.  The plane he was supposed to be on...only seat-cushions were found.

When he passed away, now over 10 years ago, he had a full Honor Guard funeral.  I had grown up on a military base, but that was the first one I had seen.  I have seen others since, but his was the longest.  Unlike others I have seen, the military Honor Guard were the actual Pallbearers.  It must have taken 20 minutes to march up to the hearse and remove the casket.  A very solemn march with tiny side steps.  I have never seen that again.  Most are much quicker.  Everyone should attend a 'With Honors' funeral.  Maybe it will change some minds of people who take for granted the sacrifices of our Veterans.

In my hallway is a constant reminder of my father:








Posted by:  jmansene
President makes surprise visit to Iraq





jmansene




D.J. Richards
Memorial luminaries at the National Cemetery I work at. A true honor and privilege to so do.





TTAS
With the upcoming holiday, I thought I'd post this. Memories are tough things sometimes.


I honor those in life and death,
in memory with reverent breath,

I wiped the tears from my brother's eyes,
held him close, heard his cries,

You're not forgotten fore I am here,
my brothers who shed those tears.

In peace shall all you lay,
I remember my brothers, every day.



Common Sense
From the dedication of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

High and clear and true in the echoes of the guns, a bugle lifted the old, old notes of taps, the lullaby for the living soldier, in death his requiem. Long ago some forgotten soldier-poet caught its meaning clear and set it down that soldiers everywhere might know its message as they sink to rest:

Fades the light;
And afar
Goeth day, cometh night,
And a star,
Leadeth all, speedeth all,
To their rest.

The guns roared out again in the national salute. He was home, The Unknown, to sleep forever among his own.



Posted by:  Julescat




And every night, as TV stations across the country went off the air, I still can't help tearing up when I watch the sign-off: